Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Remember that African Baby face leather brooch?

Sandwiched into the adoption story is another story. Our African adoption story would not be complete without telling the whole story.

Just before our final adoption hearing on September 5, 1996, I got pregnant. We had not planned this, it truly was a God thing. Remember that African baby brooch that had been given to me 3 years before? I had asked this question when everyone said,"It's a sign from God." I had asked, "Does this mean I will adopt an African baby or that I will get pregnant in Africa?" God has a sense of humor because both happened.

In mid-September after I had not had a period for two weeks, I talked to one of the doctors at the hospital. I told him I had not had a period so he suggested that I come down to the clinic and he would give me a prescription to get a pregnancy test at the lab. We had to wait two weeks before getting the test for it to be a valid test (for some reason). Those had been a long two weeks. God has an even greater sense of humor, because as I had counted back, I knew the date of conception--my birthday! That was the best birthday present ever!

I walked from the clinic over to the lab promising Dr. Chris Healey that I would return with the results! As I waited outside the lab on a wooden bench, my thoughts were a jumble! But again, I wondered if I would miscarry, if I was in fact pregnant. As David the lab technician handed me the slip of paper and I looked at the + sign, I heard, "Felicitations! Vouse etes enseint!" Wow! I really was pregnant. I walked back to the clinic and handed the slip of paper to Chris for him to experience the same joy I was feeling. He wanted to call his wife and tell her, but I convinced him to wait until I returned home to tell Milton the news. That was some walk as I reveled in God smiling on me! He really does love to give good gifts to his children! He just kind of heaps it on at times! We were careful who we told that I was pregnant, because I had always miscarried at around 2 months! So we wanted to make sure this one took! We did share the news with our pastors and they were just as happy as we were. After all they had walked this journey with us the past 3 years we had been in Benin.

The last six weeks in Benin was spent nauseated every stinkin' morning! Susanne would arrive to take care of Alicia and would find me in the bathroom puking my guts out! Each time I talked to Dr. Chris, he reveled in my nausea. I had not been nauseous with the other pregnancies, so he told me this was a good sign! Crackers and cheese became my friends while in Benin. Throughout the whole pregnancy I experienced the nausea and eventually the papaya enzymes that my friend Mary had recommended didn't work, ginger tea became a close friend until even that did not work. The last couple of months of my pregnancy I was on a prescription medication for the nausea. It was worth it!

When we were in the process of doing our home study, our social worker gave us the statistic of 3% of adoptive parents experience pregnancy after adoption. When we shared our story we would hear time and time again of how often that occurs! It's not that common. We just hear the positive stories. You don't hear adoptive parents talking about not getting pregnant after adopting for obvious reasons.

I had a normal pregnancy, and my son was born on May 23, 1997. There are 15 months between him and his sister. They can fight like cats and dogs but I have some great pictures with their arms around each other so I know they are good friends too! I was 42 when I gave birth to John without an epidural. That in itself is another story in this whole saga! Tangled all together with our home study in the States was my pregnancy with John!


No comments:

Post a Comment